Table of Contents
- What Is A Self Propelled Lawn Mower ?
- How A Self Propelled Lawn Mower Works ?
- List of 10 Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Reviews
- 1. GreenWorks 25223 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
- 2. Honda HRR216K9VKA 3-in-1 Variable Speed Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Reviews
- 3. Husqvarna 961450023 Rear Wheel Drive Hi-Wheel Mower
- 4. Black & Decker SPCM1936 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- 5. Poulan Pro 961420127 Hi-Wheel Front Wheel Best Self Propelled Mower
- 6. Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self-Propelled Lawnmower
- 7. Lawn-Boy 10732 Kohler XT6 OHV, Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower
- 8. Snapper SP70 21-Inch Single Speed Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- 9. Husqvarna HU700L 22-Inch Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- 10. Sun Joe MJ401E Electric Lawn Mower
- The Buying Criteria For The Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
- HOW TO MAIN A SELF PROPELLED LAWN MOWER
- Benefits Of A Self Propelled Lawn Mower
Summer is approaching and your lawn needs to be made in this spring to retain its aesthetic value. Certainly, a freshly cut and deep green lawn brings out life’s simple pleasures. All the same, mowing is most engaging lawn care practices. This means that this fun experience can be a daunting exercise at times.
For instance, a traditional lawn mower requires more effort and this can make you give up very first especially if you have a large yard. In addition, your mower might be stubbornly difficult to start, may leave a rugged edge or even bog down in tall grasses, this just robs you all the pleasures and you will not like the experience anymore. It’s for this a self propelled lawn mower turns out as the savior since it can move forward by itself.
The fact that you don’t have to push it not only make mowing easy but also funnier. Unfortunately, different models have unique features with unique advantages. More so, self propelled lawn mowers are on the expensive side so you need to consider carefully before deciding on the ideal machine for you. In order to help you have an easy time buying, I have crafted this best rated self propelled lawn mower 2020: Buying tips and reviews for you. We even have an amazing guide about best weed eater here at pickbestlawnmower.
In my post, ii will take you through some useful information on how to choose a self propelled lawn mower, as well as recommend 5 top rated and 5 for budget best self propelled lawn mowers of 2020. I, therefore, hope that your shopping will become easier and that you will find this post useful. We’ve recently published an article at pickbestlawnmower about buying the best lawn fertilizer, make sure you don’t miss it.
What Is A Self Propelled Lawn Mower ?
This is a special type of a walk behind mower. Like its name say, this mower move automatically so you don’t have to push it. A self-propelled mower is equipped with an engine and transmission system which allow the mower to slowly move forward while mowing the lawn. This type of mower is common with many gardeners because of its effective performance.
How A Self Propelled Lawn Mower Works ?
A self-propelled mower is equipped with a drive system which helps it run and mow the lawn. There is a start button on the handlebar. Squeeze the handlebar to turn on the drive system, this makes the mowing blade to spin and the mower start to do its work.
Because this mower has built-in propulsion, it automatically moves forward while cutting grass, this saves you a lot of energy compared to traditional push lawn mowers. You job when operating this lawn mower is to hold it and guide it move the direction you want. When you finish making your loan release the handlebar and the mower will stop.
You still might make mistakes while sharping blade, make sure you check this VIDEO, before you sharpen the blade.
List of 10 Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Reviews
1. GreenWorks 25223 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
This cordless lawn mower is a cool entry in the line of cordless lawn mowers that has swept the hearts of many homeowners by a storm. Despite the many brands from the same manufacturer, this cordless lawn mower stood out from the rest because of its unique set of features as enumerated below.
First, this mower comes with a wide cutting deck and perhaps this is its best selling point. It features a 19” steel cutting deck that allows you to mow your lawn in just few passes. The advantage of this is that it saves you a considerable amount of time off your lawn maintenance practices. Besides, the fact that the cutting deck is made of steel, means that it is going to last for a long time provided that you take proper care and maintenance.
Second, this cordless lawn mower doesn’t feature in the list of those lawn mowers that suffer limited grass management clippings options, it comes with a three grass clippings option. The advantage of this is that it will save you from spending more after the initial investment. With this cordless lawn mower, you can either take the advantage of the machine standard side discharge, the mulching kit that will chop the grass into finer pieces spreadable throughout your lawn for added nutrient or even the rear collection bag so that you can collect the clippings for later disposal or for compost.
In addition, this cordless lawn mower features 7 different height adjustment options something not common with most lawn mower models in the market. This means that you will be able to cut a wide range of height from about 1-1/8-inch to 3-inches. The advantage of this is that you will be able to cut the grass at the appropriate height and this helps your lawn to withstand drought and outdo weeds.
- It is environment-friendly
- It features a wide range of cutting height options
- It is simple and reliable
- The lithium ion battery is powerful
- Large wheels for easy control and maneuvering
- The handle collapses for easy storage and transportation
- It is only perfect for small-medium sized lawns
- Cannot cut short grass even on its lowest setting
2. Honda HRR216K9VKA 3-in-1 Variable Speed Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Reviews
This Honda is engineered to take lawn care practices by a storm. It is loaded with great features and this is why it managed passed our tests for the self-propelled mower. First, this self-propelled gas mower features an easy speed selection that comes with a smart drive. This means that you can adjust the speed to suit your cutting needs.
Besides, this self-propelled gas mower features a 3-in-1 system with a clip director. The advantage of this tool free switch is that it allows you to switch from mulching, rear bagging and side discharge with a simple touch.
In addition, this mower is engineered to last for a long time as it is equipped with a reliable, powerful and easy starting engine. The dependable, powerful and fuel efficient engine means you are going to enjoy using your machine for many years without workshop visits. That’s not all, without pointing out that the engine of this lawn mower satisfy EPA and CARB emissions standards.
Another cool feature of this self propelled lawn mower is that it comes with a 6-position height adjustment in the range of 1 1/8” to 4”. This means that you can comfortably adjust your lawn cutting height to achieve your desired results. Finally but not the least, this self-propelled gas mower comes with large 8” wheels with ball bearings for a smooth drive and better maneuverability.
Why is it a top pick?
This Honda self-propelled gas mower features a twin blades system. I liked the twin blade system because it allows the lawn mower to cut ultra-fine clipping for superior mulching and bagging. Ultimately, this superb cutting system enhances time efficacy, something everyone want.
- It has a powerful, dependable and easy to start engine with auto-choke
- The twin blade system allow for superior bagging and mulching
- Environment friendly
- The 6-position height adjustment enhances comfortability while cutting
- Backed by a 3-year residential warranty
- More dust and fine particles go through the grass catcher
- A little louder than expected
- The speed control is not instant
3. Husqvarna 961450023 Rear Wheel Drive Hi-Wheel Mower
If your lawn rest on uneven terrains, you might want to consider this lawn mower. This Husqvarna from Honda comes with large wheels (8-inch front wheels and 11-inch rear wheels) that provides maximum maneuverability.
Interestingly, this self-propelled mower is popular not because of the superior performance but because of its functionality and durability.
You will also like how this lawn mower is easy to assemble. It takes just a few minutes to get it up and running and most importantly it is tool free. The engine of this mower stand out from the rest because it starts easily regardless of the external temperature, thanks to the auto choke feature.
The speed of this self-propelled mower is variable so you can adjust it to suit your preferences. If you are cutting on flat terrains a high speed is best but for uneven terrains, a lower speed provides the best traction.
This mower feature a 22-inch steel cutting deck which means you will be able to cut large areas per pass, this, in turn, saves you more time as you will make few passes to finish the task. The deck of this mower is also powder coated to make it rust free. Furthermore, the 22-inch cutting deck features a 3-in-1 function for superior mulching, bagging and side discharging. Finally, the cutting deck of this mower can be adjusted to 9 different heights.
- It has a powerful engine with an auto-choke
- The auto-walk rear wheel drive system provides excellent traction on any terrain
- Features a 3-in-1 function for mulching, bagging and side discharge
- It is easy to maneuver
- Easy to assemble
- Cutting deck can be adjusted to 9 positions
- Not ideal for use in the evening because it is noisy
- Most parts are made of cheap plastic
- The wheels lock when you pull it back
4. Black & Decker SPCM1936 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Self Propelled Lawn Mower
This super mower comes with a one-touch height adjustment that means you can quickly adjust the cutting height of the four wheels with a single pull of the lever. Besides, this greenworks cordless lawn mower stands out of the traditional mowers since it can be folded for compact storage, this easy fold mechanism makes it ideal for limited storage space.
Amazingly, the design of its engine creates zero emissions which is far much better that any other gas powered engines. This makes it one of the best lawn mower for the environment as opined by the Environmental Protection Agency. Speaking of power, this lawn mower runs a 34-volt sealed lead acid system which means it can be stored in any position without any leakage. The battery is removable and rechargeable and produces lots of power enough to get your job done without any hassle. What I liked most about this unit is the charge status indicator on the top.
You will also like the variable speed of this self propelled lawn mower as it adjusts to your comfortable mowing pace.
- It is equipped with safety features
- It has a powerful battery
- It has seven blade height adjustment positions
- The variable speed system helps you to control the speed to your mowing pace
- It is easy to use
- It has a quiet operation
- The battery is heavy and takes long to charge
- The charging port is in awkward area to use
5. Poulan Pro 961420127 Hi-Wheel Front Wheel Best Self Propelled Mower
Tall grass and uneven terrains requires a mower that will work with you and this is exactly why this Poulan PRO is made for. This front wheel drive mower delivers the precision results you demand with much ease, thanks to the variable speed transmission. The durable front drive system and the 12-inch high wheels makes the perfect combination for faster and easier mowing.
For efficacy this self-drive mower comes with a 22-inch steel deck that cuts a large area in a single pass, this means you will make a few passes to finish cutting your lawn. On top of this, the 22-inch deck is 3-in-1 capable which means you can mulch to add nutrients to your lawn, bag clippings for compost or simply side discharge. And what amazed me is the fact that no tool is needed to switch between the modes. For your convenience, this mower has a Ready Start feature so you will never have a problem getting it started. You probably have used or familiar with poulan pro’s other power tools, You might be not aware of this that poulan pro is affiliated with husqvarna, both Swedish company. Sounds cool, isn’t it ? All our best 5 seems to be interrelated.
- It is equipped with a 3-in-1 capability
- Its engine is powerful and provides unquestionable reliability
- It features a 4-quick height adjustment with 9-positions
- Equipped with large wheels for greater maneuverability
- No tool is required to switch between modes
- You have to fix the lowering mechanism manually
6. Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self-Propelled Lawnmower
This troy-Bilt lawn mower might be the machine you have been looking for all this long. Powered by an easy starting 163cc engine with a ready start technology, this lawn mower is made to help you accomplish your job comfortably. What I liked more about this self-drive mower is the single lever variable speed drive system that is equipped with 4-top speed settings to give you precision, comfort and control.
This TB330 self propelled lawn mower is equipped with an integrated deck wash and ReadyStart system that automatically adjusts engine and fuel temperature. It is easy to operate this mower, you only need to pull the cord for power once, and then the ReadyStart system will do the rest.
- One single-lever height adjustment that allows for 6-different height settings
- Large front and rear wheels (8-inches) for simple maneuverability in uneven terrain
- The 21-inch TriAction complete cutting system increases its efficiency
- The variable speed drive system with 4-different top speed settings allows you to mow faster
- The 3-in-1 capability provides flexible performance
- The power cord can be pulled out easily
- It smokes a lot on first use
7. Lawn-Boy 10732 Kohler XT6 OHV, Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower
Coming with a 21-inch deck this self-drive lawn mower makes quality cuts on your lawn. The large cutting deck is designed for people like you with yards of ¼ to ½ of an acre of yard space. On top of this, the steel deck is durable and provide excellent mulching capabilities. The Lawn-Boy 10732 has a rear wheel self-drive design which makes it ideal for all hilly terrains.
The advantage of this best self propelled lawn mower is that the two –point height of cut allows you to customize the deck heights to fit your own mowing height.
When it comes to bagging your clippings, this lawn mower got you covered with its large bag capacity that holds more clippings and help you to empty the bag faster. Like most self propelled lawn mowers, the Lawn-Boy also feature a 3-in-1 discharge ability. This versatile cutting systems give you the option to mulch and add nutrients to your lawn, bagging to leave a beautiful lawn or side discharge. The Kohler XT6 OHV engine is strong and delivers up to 6.5 ft. lbs. of power. Not only that but also, the commercial-grade features make it suitable for tough performance, while the operator-centric design offers user-friendly maintenance.
- It is easy to operate
- It has a strong and powerful engine
- The auto-walk rear wheel drive system provides better traction and stability on uneven terrains
- Has a large bag capacity
- It boast of a 3-year Tru-Start commitment it’s backed by a 2-year no worry warranty
- The front axle is held together by cheap plastic
- The height adjustment levers are brittle and breaks easily
8. Snapper SP70 21-Inch Single Speed Self Propelled Lawn Mower
This self propelled lawn mower enters the market with a 21-inch cutting deck and 1-25 to a 3.75-inch cutting height. This ensures you get a quick and even cut no matter the terrain. Being a self-propelled mower, it means that you don’t have to exert any effort to push the machine forward. Thanks to its self-propelled front wheel drive that pushes the mower. So no matter the size of your yard, the snapper mower walks with you.
Although this lawn mower has single speed settings, its mowing speed of 3 miles per hour is sufficient to get your job done.
This snapper mower runs a Briggs & Stratton 675Exi series 163cc engine which delivers up to 6.75 foot-pounds of gross torque. The high power of this engine make this mower suitable for tough performance. As a bonus, all engines by Briggs & Stratton feature a ReadyStart technology which ensures an effortless start without choking.
This Snapper mower is popular because of its 3-in-1 feature that allows easy switch from side discharge to mulching and to bagging modes. What I liked most is the bushel bag design that helps the grass catcher collects more grass reducing the boring stops mid-wow to empty the bag.
- It is backed by a solid warranty (3-years)
- It operates a single but high speed (3.0 MPH)
- It features a dual lever height of cut adjustment to suit your preferred heights
- It converts easily from mulching to bagging to side discharge for all modes
- The foam around the handles is poorly put and tore easily
- The height adjustment levers is on one side only
9. Husqvarna HU700L 22-Inch Self Propelled Lawn Mower
The HU700L gas-powered self-propelled mower is equipped with rugged ball-bearing wheels which ensure that your machine will maneuver easily for a long time. Again this lawn mower comes with large front and rear wheels (8-inches) which enhances maneuverability and control. What is more is the rear drive self-propelled system that automatically pushes the mower forward.
Regardless of your height, you will still use Husqvarna self propelled lawn mower. Thanks to the 4-point-9position height adjustment that allows you to customize the heights to suit your preferences. Finally, this gas powered lawn mower has a variable drive speed control which allows you to set speed according to your needs or the condition of your lawn.
- It is equipped with an easy start engine
- It comes with a long-lasting steel cutting decks
- The handles are resistant to vibrations
- Features a versatile 3-in-1 cutting system
- It is CARB compliant
- The blade that comes with this mower is not a mulching blade
- The gas tank is narrow at the top and feel is likely to overflow every time you fill it.
10. Sun Joe MJ401E Electric Lawn Mower
This amazing lawn mower is designed for those with smaller yards. It is one of the easy to use machines and despite been electric, it still delivers the power of a gas machine. Thanks to the powerful 12-amp motor that mows a 14” path in a single pass.
It comes with 8-position manual height adjustment for easy customization. I liked this unit because of the safety lock-off button that prevents the unit from starting accidentally.
- It has low maintenance
- Comes with a detachable grass catcher
- Starts easily with a touch of a button
- It is easy to maneuver even in tight spaces
- Backed by a full 2-year warranty
- Come without a cord
- The frame is made of plastic
The Buying Criteria For The Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
Technological advancement has led to the production of hundreds of best self propelled lawn mowers. But the shocker is, only a few of them are user-friendly and can leave a professional finish on your lawn. This expert’s guide will help you find the self propelled lawn mower for you much easier. ( check out Leaf Blower Buying Guide )
- Power: This is one of the fundamental considerations you should carefully consider. The engine of your mower should be powerful enough. It must be capable of satisfying your demand capacity. If you are not sure with how much power is needed to get your lawn cut. You can talk to experts or the salesman, give him the dimensions of your yard and he will advise you which mower has the capacity to meet your needs. That’s not all, the engine of your mower must be durable and maintenance free. A poor engine means you are going to spend a lot in repair costs. Makes sure the engine of your mower comes from a trusted manufacturer such as Honda.
- Drive control system: The drive control system greatly affects comfortability. Most of the self propelled lawn mower provide fixed speed, as a result, you may feel tired of walking slowly behind your lawn mower. However there still some that provide variable speeds meaning you can adjust the speed while mowing to suit your walking speed. So try to choose a self-propelled lawn mower with an easy to use drive control system to allow you mow for a long time without getting tired.
- Multifunction: Most lawn mowers on the market come with advanced features. A self propelled lawn mower that does more than one job is considered the best choice. A self propelled lawn mower with advanced features not only make you feel more comfortable when working but also reduce the mowing time and improve performance. For best results, look for a self-propelled lawn mower with bagging, mulching, and side discharge capabilities.
- Cutting width: The width of cutting determines how many passes you need to make to get all the grass cut. It is, therefore, important to consider how wide your mower will be able to cut. If you have a large yard the cutting width is very important. In this case, find one that has a large cutting deck. If our yard is small then you may want something that is lightweight and with a narrower deck. On average the best width for smaller yards is anything above 20-inches while larger yards a cutting width above 22-inches is considered ok.
- Wheel sizes: Any self-propelled mower need to have same standard wheels at the front for easy movement. A typical wheel is 8-inch while high wheel models have 9” to 12” rear wheels which provides good traction and pivoting ability for sharp turns. Other than the size; you also need to look for high quality and solid wheels that will be able to handle any terrain.
- Lawn: Your lawn is going to play a significant role in choosing the right mower for you. The height of your grass demands that you buy a lawn mower with variable height adjustments. Moreover, the nature of your lawn (well-made or filled with obstacles) will determine whether you will buy a rear wheel or front wheel self propelled lawn mower.
- Price: Self propelled lawn mowers are available in a wide range of prices depending on the quality and features loaded in the machine. Professionals will shoot for a high-end mower, but this is not to say that there are no cheaper but effective lawn mowers out there. After all, the important thing is to find a lawn mower that meets your own demands for that price. You get what you pay for but it would be a waste of money to buy an expensive mower only to find it is not comfortable for you.
- Warranty: Because of the construction, self-propelled mowers require more maintenance than other types of mowers. The clutch and belts of this mower wear out with time. The blades also require maintenance. Not only this but also, the batteries for battery-powered models need to be replaced after some years. For this reason, your mower need a solid warranty that will cover most of these issues. To be certain that you are spending your money on the right product, find a model that offers a reasonable warranty anything above 2 years is god to shoot for. In addition to this, pay attention to the requirements that the warranty needs to stay valid.
- Noise level: You must consider the noise level of the lawn mower. Having a noisy mower can cause disturbance to your neighbors and for sure it feel awkward when your neighbor comes complaining house noisy is your mower. If you want a mower that will cut the grass quietly, then an electric self propelled lawn mower is a great choice compared to a gas propelled one. Your neighbors will have peace of mind when you are making your lawn. But if you live away from your neighbors then noise wouldn’t bother you.
HOW TO MAIN A SELF PROPELLED LAWN MOWER
- First 5 Hours
- Every 8 Hours or Daily
Check engine oil level Clean area around muffler and controls Clean finger guard
- Every 25 Hours or Annually
Clean air filter* Clean pre-cleaner*
- Every 50 Hours or Annually
Change engine oil Check muffler and spark arrester
Replace air filter Replace pre-cleaner Replace spark plug Replace fuel filter Clean air cooling system*
Benefits Of A Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- It saves time and effort: The first advantage of this walk-behind lawn mower is time and energy efficiency. No matter how large is your yard, with the best self propelled lawn mower you will be able to be able to mow our lawn well within short time. In addition to this, a mower will save you more energy since this mower is designed to move forward automatically your only job is to direct it to the direction you want it to move. Therefore, you are not going to exert a lot of effort pushing it when cutting grass in complicated terrains. check out the reviews of lawn sprinkler here: https://pickbestlawnmower.com/lawn-sprinkler/
- It is suitable for small and medium size areas: Majority of self-propelled mowers are compact and medium sized. This means you will be able to maneuver and use it effectively in medium sized spaces.
- Advanced features: Most of the mowers are designed to be 3-in-1 which means they can comfortably work as a mulching, bagging or side-discharge lawn mower. Some self propelled lawn mowers have adjustable handles so you can customize it to fit your height so that you can operate it for a long time without getting tired.
- User-friendly: Some self-propelled lawn mowers have variable speed control. The advantage of this is that it helps you to customize the mower according to your ideal walking speed.
The best self propelled lawn mower not only help you maintain your lawn with ease, but it can greatly improve your health. Since walking behind the lawn mower is part of keeping your body fit. We have provided you with everything you may want to know. So hurry and utilize the knowledge in this article to find the Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower for you right now.